Welcome to Reception
This is a very exciting year for your children as they make the transition from Nursery to Reception. We aim to make this transition as smooth as possible by providing a broad, balanced and exciting curriculum. In Reception the children will learn lots of new skills which they will achieve by learning through their play. The children can follow their own interests, and topics are often catered to what the children are interested in. Reception is a creative, fun and warm environment to explore and learn in. We focus on subjects such as Phonics, Literacy and Maths, as these are the fundamental areas of early learning. As well as learning new educational skills, we work on becoming members of a new school community, learn to form new friendships, be more independent, and to follow school rules and routines.
Please do not hesitate to pop in, or pick up the phone if you have any concerns at all. We are committed to ensuring that every child has the very best, happiest and smoothest start to their school life.
Miss Dixon & Miss Cobb
First Days at School
Below you will find some links to useful websites:
A Cbeebies website that has lots of phonic videos and games.
An educational website full of games, videos, craft activities and radio shows.
A website full of interactive literacy and numeracy games.
Sing along and learn all about numbers with the Numberblocks!
The purpose of this booklet is to help you as a parent/carer find out more about how your child is learning and developing during their first five years, in relation to the EYFS. Children develop more rapidly during the first five years of their lives than at any other time. This booklet has been written to help you as a parent know what to expect during these vitally important years by focusing on the 7 areas of learning and development which are covered in the EYFS.
Things to remember:
- Please make sure the children have their book bags in school with them every day. Homework folders and reading books should be kept inside of book bags at all times.
- Reading day for the children is a Friday. Remember to write a comment every time you read as these will equate to house points awarded to the children.
- P.E kits should remain in school, our P.E session is a Tuesday afternoon.
- All money should be handed into school in a named envelope.
- All items of clothing and property must be clearly labelled. This helps to reunite your child with any lost property.
- Please ensure your child is prepared for any potential type of weather so as to not limit their outdoor learning opportunities. E.G sun cream, hat, raincoat, gloves and wellies.
- Please support your children to practise putting on and fastening his/her coat at home. This will increase their independence.
- We kindly ask for a 50p donation every Monday which helps towards the cost of baking ingredients and resources for the children.
Home learning expectations:
- Your child’s reading book will be changed on a Friday. Please write a comment in the record books every time you hear your child read.
- Please use the children’s purple books to practise their sight words and sounds – little and often is best!
- Please complete the children’s handwriting books once we have learnt the corresponding sound. We ask that the children use a pencil and colour in the pictures using coloured pencils only.
Thank you for your support, cooperation and involvement.
Miss Dixon & Miss Cobb